Choosing an MBA that helps you make a difference

By | September 12, 2011

Hajime-Sudo,Perugia-MBA-stuHajime Sudo is about to start Bradford University School of Management’s full-time MBA based at the University of Perugia in the Spoleto region of Italy.

I graduated from the Accounting School of Tohoku University in Japan this spring. The School is located in Tohoku area, which was one of the areas most damaged by the catastrophic earthquake that hit in March. As a result of the quake, the region faced a diverse range of social, environmental, ethical and financial problems.

The earthquake made me consider how I could contribute to my country. I wanted to help re-build the economy using my accounting skills. To make a real difference, I needed both my academic skills and a more rounded business approach – so I decided to look into doing an MBA.

I found Bradford University School of Management’s full-time MBA at the University of Perugia in Italy. It had everything I was looking for.

1. MBA programme focused on sustainability and CSR

Bradford University School of Management has sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) at the core of all its MBA programmes. This was important to me because I wanted to be an MBA graduate that would make a difference to wider society, not just my own career.

2. Intensive one-year MBA programme

I was looking for a programme that would give me all the skills I needed to help back in Japan as quickly as possible. The Bradford MBA in Perugia is an intensive year of study which includes a three month internship opportunity immediately afterwards. The premise behind the programme is that it doesn’t interfere with your career but accelerates you on the way to your goals.

3. Flexible, specialist MBA modules

The other thing that attracted me to Bradford University School of Management’s MBA in Perugia was the range and flexibility of modules offered. The programme combines Bradford’s management expertise with Perugia’s engineering and manufacturing expertise, allowing students to choose a tailored programme incorporating both.

Most Japanese and global companies are manufacturers. I believe that Japan’s rapid economic growth will come from the manufacturing sector such as the car industry (TOYOTA, Nissan, and Honda) and the electronics industry (Panasonic, Sony and Sharp) which produce high quality products. There is a lot that I can learn from the success of Italy’s manufacturing sector whilst in Perugia that I can take home to Japan.

~ Stage One (October – December) ~

・Business Economics

・Business Accounting

・Marketing

・Operations Management

・Managing People

・Corporate Finance

~ Stage Two (January – March) ~

・Strategic Management

・Business Research

・Project Management

・Quality, Lean and Six Sigma

・Management Information Systems

・Manufacturing Technology in Product Development

~ Stage Three (April – June) ~

・Manufacturing Systems and Supply Chain Design

・Knowledge Management for Performance Improvements

~ Stage Four (June – September) ~

・MBA Management Project (15,000 words)

~Internship (October – December) ~

4. World-class academics on the MBA programme

There are a lot of globally famous scholars and specialists at both Bradford University School of Management and the University of Perugia. I believe this gives me the best chance of finding good mentors, which is very important for MBA students. Shuhari denotes that the good mentors lead students to not only their career goals but enriching lives in general.

5. Academic tradition of the MBA programme

Finally, as an accountant, I was attracted to Bradford’s MBA programme at the University of Perugia because it is where Luca Pacioli (Fra Luca Bartolomeo de Pacioli) used to teach. He is well-known as the establishment of double-entry bookkeeping system and is someone that I have always looked up to. Furthermore, the University of Perugia has a long history over 700 years. This academic and traditional background makes it a very attractive place to study an MBA.

Everyone has a different reason for choosing to do an MBA but many do it for more than self interest – many do an MBA for the greater good. If you want to do an MBA that will make a difference not only to yourself but wider society, then my advice is to choose one that has all these interests at heart.

2 thoughts on “Choosing an MBA that helps you make a difference

1. Pingback: Does the UK have the skills and desire to lead the digital revolution? Key points from #BASE conference in Bradford | Bradford Management Thinking Blog

2. Executive Education

I agree that if you have a MBA degree or a diploma in management, you will stay ahead of others in many aspects and fields. But you have to choose your subjects cautiously. Learn the market trends and see which subjects are demanding in current socio-economic situation.

Some of the topics and subjects are mentioned in your post. This will help many management aspirants in selecting their subjects. Another thing which is important is the reputation of the management institute from where you are willing to do a course. Think and think wise!