My Ma Kam Ming Scholarship at the School of Management

By | February 16, 2018

After successfully obtaining the Ma Kam Ming Scholarship in 2016, I was able study MSc Finance, Accounting and Management at the School of Management. My postgraduate degree (that I passed with distinction) as well as the unique study experience at the School of Management has enabled me to successfully gain my dream job – working as an Audit and Assurance associate in Deloitte China, one of the big four accounting firms, which is a fantastic starting point for my future career.

I wanted to write this blog to share my experience and recommend other students to study at the School of Management, and, like me, explore all the opportunities life offers.

Firstly, I would like to say I was really grateful to have the opportunity to study at the School of Management – it is one of the oldest and most experienced university-based business schools in Britain, with high rankings in the UK and triple accreditations from AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA. It immersed me in a community of academic diversity, collaborative spirit and welcoming atmosphere.

My course offered a lot of useful modules such as, strategic accounting and financial management, which helped me gain a better understanding of the financial market both in a theoretical and practical way. I was impressed by the equipment and facilities provided by the School of Management such as the specialised library and the trading room, as well as the continuous support from the faculty. In addition to this, I also took the opportunity to go on exchange programme which made me more employable as I gained experience and the skills to possess an international vision as well as to improving my foreign language ability and cross-cultural capabilities.

The Ma Kam Ming Scholarship is exclusively applicable to Chinese students who apply for MSc programmes at the School of Management – it covers the tuition fee and also provides £7000 which covers some living cost and travel expenses. The application form requires demonstration of academic excellence, but also evaluates students work and personal achievements. The first stage is to fill in the application form and writing an extended statement, then an interview stage. During my interview I explained to the panel my dream was to work for one of the four big accounting firms – now my dreams have come true.

Yi Tao